About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
University Relations is seeking a Graphic Designer to join our multi-disciplinary team to craft print and digital experiences for external and internal audiences. This is a 12-month position that begins in May 2018 and ends in May 2019. Our goal is to deliver simple and elegant print and digital collateral to a wide spectrum of audiences, from prospective and current students to alumni and industry partners. Projects run the gamut from magazine layout and design to customized fundraising proposals. The Graphic Designer is a critical part of the Design and Digital Strategy team and works closely with designers, editors, photographers, video producers, and front-end developers to deliver beautiful design solutions.
The ideal candidate will have academic and/or professional experience as a Graphic Designer, Art Director, or similar role working in a dynamic, high-energy agency or educational setting.
The Creative Studio, composed of the Design and Digital Strategy team (graphic designers and web developers) and the Content Strategy team (editors, photographers, and video producers), is situated in University Relations within the Advancement division. The studio's efforts are strategically aligned to support university-level priorities. The Graphic Designer reports to the Studio's Director of Design and Digital Strategy.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communication, or equivalent work and/or academic experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of graphic design for print, digital, and press publishing processes, concepts, and techniques, such as digital page makeup, style sheets, image scanning, digital photo manipulation, clipping paths, pre-press preparation of files, color matching, inks, papers, and binding.
- Experience with desktop design and publishing processes on the Macintosh platform and command of Adobe Creative Suite software, such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Professional and/or academic experience in print graphic design, advertising, communications, photography or video production, or in-house agency setting, or a related setting.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat).
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- An outstanding online portfolio with relevant examples of finished print work, as well as printed samples where applicable.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Master of Fine Arts in design, illustration, or related field.
- Knowledge of Virginia Tech.
- Knowledge of typography.
- Experience with professional magazine layout and design.
- Knowledge of printing industry best practices.
- Experience collaborating with freelance teams and overseeing work both internally and externally.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Website : http://www.vt.edu
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).